Thursday, May 30, 2013

The Point of It All: Our Ancestors Thoughts

Over the last few months, I have read books and essays on ground breaking leaders in the African-American community. Champions such as Booker T. Washington, W.E.B. Dubois, and Benjamin E. Mays (who's autobiography I have on my reading list) gave our generation the platform that it stands on today. But, somewhere, we have dropped the ball. Somewhere, we have lost our roots. Somewhere, we have disappointed these great revolutionaries. Therefore, let's take a look into the thoughts of some of our forefathers and see what they think about us today!

Booker T. Washington
I remember living in the slave house watching my mother cower down over her masters duties. Even as a light skinned fella, I will still treated second class. My siblings and I felt we should somehow change our circumstances, somehow become better than our current situation. We survived cold, harsh winters and hot, humid summers during our times on the plantation. But still, I never gave up. I knew I was destined for greatness.

As I became older, I set out on a journey to become a leader, a servant to others, and a champion for my people! I walked from my hometown and traveled by train with only the clothes on my back to Hampton University to begin a journey that would change my life forever. From there, despite my hardships, I was asked to help young minority students and Native American students alike to a better education.

I went on to found Tuskegee University and blazed a trail for young students to follow. But you, your generation, you have disappointed me. I worked so hard to establish a door for you to walk through and although many of you have walked through the door, many of you have not. Now, I'm not trying to put you down new generation, but I want you to do and be better. Education is the cornerstone to success and hard work is its foundation. Use what I left you as resource, not a playground.

I'm tired of you not taking advantage of the years of servitude I put into making you a success. Be the strong, brave, intelligent, non-conforming people you were born to be. Pick back up the torch and press on! Don't use your gifts for malice, deceit, or tomfoolery. Be the kings and queens you were born to be!

W.E.B. Dubois
I lived over 90 years on this Earth and I was able to establish world renowned programs that have served for racial and socioeconomic equality for well over a century. My times in the 19th century were marred with slavery, segregation, and inferiority. Yet, I managed to receive my Ph.D. from Harvard University and became a ground breaking leader in sociology.

I went on to become a professor of history and sociology at Atlanta University. Also, I co-founded an organization dedicated to championing the equality and freedoms of colored people. My organization, The National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, opened doors once thought to be locked away forever.

Nowadays, I see more and more people making strides in things that I was still unable to accomplish during my time on Earth. However, I see many things that hurt me deeply. Instead of teaching our young men and women to be responsible citizens, we have subjected ourselves to buffoonery, tomfoolery, and lollygagging.

Instead of accepting life with class and dignity, you have accepted the life of video vixens, gold chains, and expensive cars. Then you wonder why you are broke after a few year of success. I didn't go through all of the things I went through to advance you only to find us regressing. Man up, take the mantle and rise again new generation!

Madame C.J. Walker
I was born 2 years after the Civil War, when black folk were supposedly set free. What many won't tell you is that even though President Lincoln set out to "free" us, he still considered us second class citizens and ultimately wanted to ship black people to their own separate island, away from white America.

Growing up in a family of sharecroppers, I new that I wanted to become someone great. I knew that the essence of women could be enhanced a little. I set out to help the beauty and essence of black America, but what came along with it blew my mind. It all began when I came up with an idea to help detangle our hair.

The hot comb, along with other products, opened a gigantic door for me and the grooming of African American people. By 1914, I became a millionaire through my manufacturing company, breaking down barriers (both gender and racial)! I let my daughter manage the company once she graduated from college and hoped that it would further advance the essence of our beautiful women.

But alas, I am heartbroken. Today, I see butt-shaking, penis hopping, wild-acting women who create an even more nerve racking experience than someone scratching their nails against a blackboard. Why must I see my young, beautiful queens subject themselves to such filth and trash. Be the young beautiful, wholesome queen you were meant to be. Leave the tissue in the toilet and flush it! Be strong, be vigilant, be leaders, and be you! I love you my dear sweet sisters. Grow up and forth!

I hope that his charge from our prominent ancestors has caused us to rethink our daily motives, retool our thinking, and rehash our dreams of success and growth! We are leaders, kings and queens, who have ancestors that have proven that excuses are overrated. Get up! Do Better! Wake up!! So Speaks Shaun Marq!!



2 comments:

  1. I like this, very interesting read, it does seem as if they would say these wise words and we may have angered their spirits with the antics of this generation.

    ReplyDelete