Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Ethnic Values: Consumerism

Why do we become upset when foreigners (i.e. Asians, Middle Easterners) come to this country, develop a business need, and explode in wealth? They only observe the consumer values of this country, and in turn, feed the need! 

Black people offer billions in consumer value, but a small percentage in wealth creation. But we laugh at the gas station owners, lawn service workers, janitor workers, and restaurant owners who represent different ethnicity's.

When I was homeless and sleeping in either my car or a Motel 6 a couple of years ago, I received a great revelation. One day when I was seeking an extension on my room, a group of black guys (maybe mid 20's) began mocking the Pakistani desk clerk of the motel I was staying in; flashing their money and telling the clerk that he wishes he had money like them and began mocking his accent.

So as they went to check into their rooms, I asked him, "How much did it cost to purchase this motel?" He said, "Around 3 million dollars! Why?" I told him I just wanted to understand the elements of his business. He looked at me strangely for a second and said, "I don't want to sound offensive but can I say something to you?" I said, "Sure!"

He went on to say how he felt I was actually going to mock him like the previous black males did and that he was initially going to refuse me service. But, by me simply asking him a question about his lucrative business, he seemed to open and share some things with me; which blew my mind.

He said that the Motel 6 was not actually his but it was his fathers. Now all of this time, I saw an older Pakistani man sitting in the lobby, holding his cane, and reading a Home & Gardens magazine. Much to my naivety, he was the actual owner of the joint! The desk clerk, who I assumed was in his late 30's/early 40's was his son! He explained to me where they immigrated from with just a few dollars to their name when he was a young lad. The rest of the story ceases to amaze me:

"We came over when I was around 4, my father served in the military for years and was just wanting a change in scenery. He saw from previous visits to the United States how the country was prime opportunity to develop big business. My dad always had the entrepreneurial spirit and felt that in the U.S., he could establish his business to fit the needs of the consumer. So, with a dollar and a dream, we moved to the United States, went through the proper immigration requirements, and settled in Dallas, TX. My dad noticed that many people who toured, vacationed, or partied in this city, usually wanted to stay in the Uptown area. So, he came up with an idea of franchising with a motel chain, in order to provide great rooms at inexpensive prices. He worked various odds and ends jobs to established capital for 3 years, invested in a Motel 6, converted in into a Studio 6, replaced the cheap mattresses with Tempur-Pedics, and began his first bit of advertising. His initial investment was $50,000! Within 2 years, he was able to receive the eventual $2.87 million dollars to expand the Motel 6 and take it through its expansion. Within 7 years, my dad was a millionaire! However, we still saved money by sleeping in the actual rooms of the Studio 6 until we could bring most of our family over from Pakistan. Once lived in the rooms for two years, we brought the rest of our family over, taught them how to run these franchises, and began expanding our business into the surrounding suburbs of Dallas. Within 20 years, We own and operate 11 Motel 6/Studio 6 franchises in the Greater DFW. So while those young black men said that I wished that I had money like them, it would've blown their mind that I could pay for their and their great grand children's college tuition without putting a dent into my wallet. I don't understand the concept of Americans. You have this great platform to create for yourselves, but you waste your money on clothes, women, and booze! Those young brats that came in before you saw me working behind this desk and just assumed that I was broke! Here's your first lesson for being a millionaire Shaun: Real wealthy people have no problem letting people believe that they are not wealthy! Only small minds need to show off..."

I sat there for two more hours just listening to him and his father speak of their hard work and dedication to their generational wealth mindset. His father, who was around 70, was grooming his son to take over the business. He explained to me that he was full of life and had the energy to run the business for another twenty years, but wanted to dedicate this time to be with his grandchildren, travel, and to give his son the opportunity to grow as an entrepreneur!

In the famous words of Spike Lee, we need to WAKE UP! We have the talents to be successful with anything our imagination opens up to. Let's stop trying to be #1 Stunnas and let's start creating generational wealth! So Speaks Shaun Marq! Love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment